October 22, 2019
Zeke Freeman has created a simple, beautiful line of the highest quality products and the recipes and pairings to bring them to life. Zeke actively promotes the importance of American family-owned apiaries and works to educate the public about beekeeping and its vital role in agriculture.
On A Mission
Bee Raw is on a mission to champion American family-run farms and apiaries to forward sustainable agriculture. Zeke is inspired to share how a lifestyle rooted in nature with small, self-care moments can positivity nourish the planets and its inhabitants.
The Bees: Why so important?
Bees are responsible for pollinating one in every three bites of food we consume. Sadly, because of pesticides, parasites and malnutrition, bees are dying off—jeopardizing the production of food that sustains human life. This condition, known as Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), has resulted in bee mortality rates of 33% over the last five years. Can you imagine a world without strawberries, almonds or broccoli?
A little precursor and preparation to what's around the corner, the holidays with Basswood
- 8 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs (from a 1-lb white loaf with crust)
- 4 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 turkey liver or 3 chicken livers (2 to 3 oz total), trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Basswood Honey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread breadcrumbs in 2 shallow baking pans and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven until dry, about 15 minutes total.
- Cool crumbs in pans on racks, then transfer to a large bowl and stir in parsley, sage, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then add onions and liver and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add celery and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl with crumbs and toss well. Add eggs, stock, Basswood Honey and cream. Toss well.
- Transfer stuffing to a buttered 2 1/2- to 3-quart shallow baking dish.
- Bake, covered, in middle of oven 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until browned, about 30 minutes more.
Note | Stuffing can be assembled (but not baked) 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.